General Conditions: Except where noted, all Amtrak promotions apply to coach travel only; discounts apply to full-fare tickets and can’t be combined with other discounts; most deals entail blackout dates; seats are limited; some promotions do not apply to all trains; most promotions make provisions for one or two children accompanying each adult traveler. Companion and most children’s deals require all travelers to travel together. Amtrak also offers other minor deals and promotions. In most cases, the Amtrak website automatically computes and displays eligible discounts for any trip you enter. Check amtrak.com/deals for details and booking.
All Aboard: Ending This Month
- Capitol Corridor: 25 percent discount on round-trip travel to Oakland Coliseum stop for Raiders home games. Buy and travel through Dec. 17.
- Hoosier State: 15 percent discount and free companion ticket Chicago-Indianapolis. Buy through Dec. 28, travel through Dec. 31.
Buy Tuesday-Friday, Dec. 5-8.
Travel Monday-Thursday and Saturday, varying dates, Dec. 16-Jan. 6.
Deal: 30 percent off regular coach fares.
Routes: Sale seats are available between endpoints or intermediate points of sale route; sale fares apply only in the direction noted.
- City of New Orleans: Centralia-New Orleans.
- Northeast Regional: Various routes.
- Southwest Chief: Chicago-Topeka.
- Sunset Limited: New Orleans-Houston.
- Adirondack, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express and Maple Leaf: 15 percent discount for travel within New York State, plus Montreal. Buy tickets five days in advance by through May 26, 2018, travel through May 31.
- San Joaquins: Up to five companion tickets at 50 percent off. Buy through April 28, 2018, travel through April 30.
- Ski Train: The Winter Park Express will run again this ski season, from Jan. 5 through March 25, from Denver to Winter Park Resort. Trains will run Saturdays and Sundays plus Jan. 5, Feb. 2 and March 2. Trains leave Denver at 7 a.m. and leave Winter Park at 4:30 p.m. Advance-purchase one-way fares for $29 are available; other tickets cost $39-$59, based on capacity control.
Ongoing Promotions (valid a year or more)
- Acela: 25 percent discount for weekend and week-night travel between New Haven, Washington, and intermediate points. 14-day advance purchase.
- Campus Visit: 50 percent off companion ticket for a high school junior or senior visiting a college or university with a parent or guardian. Register through special website, campusvisit.com.
- Capitol Corridor: Up to five companion tickets at 50 percent discount. Buy at least two days in advance.
- Downeaster: 50 percent senior discount: age 62 or over: travel Boston to/from Portland and intermediate stops. Also free companion ticket. Buy at least three days in advance.
Get a 20 percent discount on a 14-day advance purchase except 25 percent where noted. Amtrak has removed the “buy by” date and now shows these discounts as open-ended. Fares valid in both directions and to/from intermediate points. No time limit.
- Auto Train: Lorton-Sanford.
- California Zephyr: Chicago-Emeryville
- Capitol Limited: Washington-Chicago.
- Cardinal: New York-Washington-Chicago.
- Cascades: Eugene-Vancouver (25 percent)
- City of New Orleans: New Orleans-Chicago
- Coast Starlight: Los Angeles-Seattle.
- Crescent: New York-New Orleans.
- Empire Builder: Chicago-Portland/Seattle.
- Lake Shore Limited: Chicago-Boston/New York.
- Northeast Regional, some Keystone and Pennsylvanian: Boston-Pittsburgh-Lynchburg (25 percent).
- Palmetto/Silver Meteor/Silver Star: New York-Miami.
- Southwest Chief: Chicago-Los Angeles.
- Sunset Limited: New Orleans-Los Angeles
- Texas Eagle: Chicago-San Antonio.
— Ed Perkins, editor
For more travel tips from Ed Perkins, see our companion site Ed on Travel