As we posted earlier, Amtrak is apparently considering major revision to its discounts, to be effective in January:
- The senior discount will drop from 15 percent to 10 percent and the eligibility age will increase from 62 to 65.
- The disability discount will drop from 15 percent to 10 percent
- The 50 percent child discount when accompanying an adult will be limited to one child, down from the current 2 per adult.
- Current Senior, Child, Disability, Student, AAA member, Veteran’s Advantage member, and National Association of Railroad Passengers member discounts will no longer apply to the highest “Full Y” fare bucket.
- New 25 percent cancellation penalty will apply to sleeper and saver fares, with other changes in cancellation rules.
This information is based on current press reports. Amtrak PR is still saying only that Amtrak is “evaluating” discount programs. Amtrak has still not responded to our early inquiry. Our take: Changes are coming, probably as noted here, with a few tweaks.
– Ed Perkins, editor
For more travel tips from Ed Perkins, see our companion site Ed on Travel