General Conditions: Except where noted, all Amtrak promotions apply to coach travel only; discounts apply to full-fare tickets and can’t be combined with other discounts; most deals entail blackout dates; seats are limited; some promotions do not apply to all trains; most promotions make provisions for one or two children accompanying each adult traveler. Companion and most children’s deals require all travelers to travel together. Amtrak also offers other minor deals and promotions. In most cases, the Amtrak website automatically computes and displays eligible discounts for any trip you enter. Check amtrak.com/deals for details and booking.
Standard Ongoing Discounts
Amtrak routinely offers modest discounts to certain travelers. For the most part, these discounts apply only to coach travel and are generally not combinable. Most routine discounts do not apply to weekday Acela Express trains and many do not apply to some Thruway bus travel. When you enter itineraries and personal details, the Amtrak website automatically computes discounted fares. Discounts are subject to capacity control.
- Senior: 10 percent discount for travelers age 65 or over except on cross-border travel with VIA Rail, where the minimum age is 60. Senior discount is not valid on Acela, Auto Train, Saver fares, or on business class or sleeper accommodations. 50 percent senior discount on Downeaster trains.
- Disability: 10 percent discount for travelers with disabilities and traveling companions, with appropriate ID. 50 percent discount on Downeaster trains.
- Children: One child age 2-12 travels for 50 percent off with an adult age 18 or over.
- Military: 10 percent discount for travelers on active duty and their spouses/dependents, including travel on Auto Train, excluding Canadian portion of transborder trains.
- NARP: 10 percent discount for members of the National Association of Railroad Passengers with three-day advance purchase.
Discounts previously available to AAA, AARP, and Veterans Advantage members have been discontinued.
- Saver Fares discounts of 15 percent-25 percent are routinely offered on most long-distance Amtrak trains with 14-day advance purchase. Discounts are limited to coach class and to Saturday and select weeknight Acela trips.
Buy Tuesday-Friday, July 10-13.
Travel Monday-Thursday and Saturday, varying dates, July 21-Aug. 11.
Deal: 30 percent off regular coach fares.
Routes: Sale seats are available between endpoints or intermediate points of sale route; sale fares apply only in the direction noted.
- Capitol Limited: Sandusky-Washington, Alliance-Chicago.
- City of New Orleans: Chicago-Centralia.
- Crescent: Gastonia-Washington.
- Lake Shore Limited: Chicago-Boston, Erie-Cleveland.
- Northeast Regional: various routes.
- Southwest Chief: Chicago-Kingman.
- Sunset Limited: Los Angeles-Del Rio.
Other Time-Limited Promotions
- Adirondack, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express and Maple Leaf: 15 percent discount for students age 13-25 for travel within New York State plus Montreal; requires student ID; buy by Dec. 28 with three-day advance purchase; travel through Dec. 31.
- Capitol Corridor: Free companion ticket for travel on Saturdays, through Sept. 30. Also, 50 percent discounts on up to five companion tickets; ongoing. Also, 25 percent discount on trips to/from Oakland Coliseum station for A’s baseball home games, through Nov. 1.
- Downeaster: Free companion ticket. Buy three days in advance; travel through Dec. 31.
- Missouri River Runner: Children ride free, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Offer applies to one kid, age 2-12, accompanied by an adult, through Aug. 26.
- San Joaquins: Buy one, get one free for travel Tuesdays-Thursdays. Buy and travel through Aug. 31. Also, 50 percent discount on up to five companion tickets for travel through April 30, 2019.
Ed Perkins, editor
For more travel tips from Ed Perkins, see our companion site Ed on Travel