Train Travel News and Best Buys Outside the U.S. — May 9
VIA Rail Canada
- VIA has settled into an ongoing pattern, with very few changes foreseen.
- The usual VIA discount approach is through its longstanding Discount Tuesday program. Recently, however, discounts have been underwhelming, usually 15% off regular coach fares on a few routes. I have not seen any recent deals on the popular transcontinental sleeper service.
Europe and Asia
- The light rail tram in Bordeaux has opened an extension to the airport. Trips to the city center take about 35 minutes.
- Rail Europe’ s extra days on Swiss Travel pass promotion—one day on any 4-day pass or two days on any 8-day pass—expires May 14. Eurail has no current promotions.
- Strikes continue to plague European rail and air services. If you are headed there, check the status.
- The Turkish railway has opened a new high-speed line inking Ankara with Sivas. The 250-mile (400 km) extension runs east from Ankara into a part of central Turkey that few visitors reach, but it is a great benefit for locals.
See our Amtrak news and discounts bulletin for domestic rail news.
For more travel tips from Ed Perkins, see our companion site Ed on Travel.
Leave a comment