Train Travel News and Best Buys Outside the U.S. — May 23
VIA Rail Canada
- VIA has settled into an ongoing pattern, with very few changes foreseen.
- The usual VIA discount approach is through its longstanding Discount Tuesday program. However, discounts have been underwhelming recently, usually 15% off regular coach fares on a few routes. I have not seen any recent deals on the popular transcontinental sleeper service.
Europe and Asia
- The light rail tram in Bordeaux has opened an extension to the airport. Trips to the city center take about 35 minutes.
- Neither Eurail nor Rail Europe has a current promotion.
- Strikes continue to plague European rail and air services. If you are headed there, check the status.
- The Turkish railway has opened a new high-speed line linking Ankara with Sivas. The 250-mile (400 km) extension runs east from Ankara into a part of central Turkey that few visitors reach, but it greatly benefits locals.
See our Amtrak news and discounts bulletin for domestic rail news.
For more travel tips from Ed Perkins, see our companion site Ed on Travel.
Leave a comment